Friday 15 July 2011

Bridesmaids

IS it a feminist movie? And why am I asking?

I know there has been some hoohaa about it being a landmark film, a rare feminist comedy. But is it beside the point? Just because women are in it, or made it, should we scrutinise it through a feminist lens?

It seems excessive to me. Hardly all movies or television must jump through this extra hoop, but women in media seem to. Women in media generally, and comedy more specifically, have already surpassed expectations by succeeding in a male-dominated field. Sure, we celebrate them for that. But we also demand they be feminist. We hardly ever seem to demand this of their male counterparts.

So this occurs to me: by being feminists, are feminist women and men actually restricting other women rather than helping them? Feminism, no matter what its naysayers might say, is not just about women. It is a study of gender, not women. Excuse my stating the obvious, but if there were no men, there would be no women to speak of. Obviously (I am truly apologetic; forgive me). As obvious as this may be, I think we forget sometimes. Men, as well as women, are subjects of study. There is a reason for the departure from women's studies to gender studies. I think that this distinction helps to avoid blaming the victims of sexism, and correctly identifies that men are also victims of their own gender.

Bridesmaids is just another funny movie. Personally, I found it only an okay-ish movie. I laughed at some of the jokes, but by far less than all of them. I would hardly recommend it to anyone, except for the fact that it is made by and portrays women in comedy; a true rarity. It was definitely refreshing to see a comedy movie with women focus without it being a romantic comedy. Although there is romance in it, it is not the central plot in the movie. I see it as a comedy, not romantic comedy. (Anyone disagree? I would be interested in knowing why.) For this reason alone I would recommend it.

Clearly, even though I am uncomfortable with the feminism test of this movie, I am also partaking in it. Is there a good reason to hold women to a higher standard? It does seem more cannibalistic when women betray other women. And in a way, perhaps it is setting a better standard for women. A better standard, as biased as it may be, is a better standard, after all. I want to see more realistic portrayals of women in media. I want little girls and boys to see it. Women are not just bodies, and objects of the male gaze, as they are so often portrayed. I just wish that more men in media also feel compelled to pass the feminism test too.

I am, however, sure of one thing in this rambling, no point, blah blah of mine. We should support women in arts to overcome the gender barriers, and hold the media to a higher standard. What do you think?

UPDATE: this post seems redundant. Watch Miss Representation, directed by Jennifer Siebel Newsom, screening this year at the New Zealand International Film Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment